The Governor made the assertion in Abuja during a familiarity visit to the Fund Headquarters in the nation`s Capital.
Governor Abubakar who lauded the support of Tetfund to the development of Tertiary Education in Nigeria said that the visit has accorded him opportunities to know more about the operations of the intervention fund.
He expressed worry over the discrepancies he said he observed in the intervention scheme of the fund saying that higher institutions in Niger State had not fully utilised and accessed different categories of interventions provided by the Federal Government through the fund to encourage both students and lecturers
.
“First I applaud Tetfund board of management for the efforts made so far in institutions in Niger States, secondly I visited Tetfund to find out why universities like Bayero University Kano has more interventions than schools in Niger state”
“But after detailed discussion with the Executive Secretary of Tetfund, I discovered that the Fund should not be blamed at all on the perceived discrepancy ,rather on my return back to Niger State I will call a meeting of all the heads of higher institutions in Niger state and we will sure do some corrections”
“I hope when my request comes it will be treated in no time” The Governor added.
Responding, the Executive Secretary of Tertiary Education trust Fund, Professor Elias Bogoro ,said that the only basis for observed disparity was based on details that informs the implementation of Tetfund policies.
“I must say at Tetfund we feel accomplished with the remarks of the Governor, possible basis for observed disparity is based on details that inform the implementation of our policies “
He also stated operational requirements as another basis for disparities in intervention scheme.
Professor Bogoro who expressed readiness of the fund to support all public higher institutions in Niger State said that the fund is protective of the aspect of system accountability .
He urged the Niger State Governor to divert resources earlier planned for sustenance of Tertiary Education to develop basic education system of the state.